Tuesday 18 September 2012

The World of Technology



Right now, I am exploring what seems like an entirely new world on the internet. I am finding out about all of these incredible pages, tools, and methods of teaching that are just blowing my mind! Today, when sitting in one of my classes, I was shown this amazing resource for teaching physics by one of my friends. This site lays out the high school physics curriculum in a very manageable and interactive manner- making it a great resource for teachers who may be having difficulty planning their own course or for students taking the course through distance ed. Overall the site was very impressive and made me understand that there are absolutely incredible resources out there just waiting to be found.

Too often we take for granted the things that we use in our everyday life- especially technology that we are used to. How many resources and collaboration opportunities are available through technology? How many do we actually know of and/or participate in? If teachers are to be providing students with the best education possible should we not try to know as much as possible about this world of technology that we are able to access?

It is easy to keep up with the new developments in education when one is in university, however, will I keep up once I begin to teach on my own? Or will I stick with the methods that my teachers used on me and the technologies that I was shown how to use when I graduated? Statistics say that the latter is much more probable. Meaning that many teachers will be teaching a generation behind where research in education is. Bringing me to the realization that I may one day be teaching a generation behind (even if it is unknowingly). Taking this ICT class has exposed me to a number of different sites, tools, and technologies that I never knew of- making me realize that one can miss a lot if they are not paying attention. Also, it has only been a couple of weeks into the course- I think that there may be a few more things that I don't know up ahead.

Lesson of the day for future me: Pay attention and stay connected. 

2 comments:

  1. You have raised some good questions, keep learning and don't become that teacher who does not keep up. BTW: can you give the link to that Physics site?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! here it is: http://www.livebinders.com/play/play_or_edit?id=85796# The link is from Miss L's Whole Brain Teaching blog. There are so many great resources on there! Honestly, that is such a great blog.

    ReplyDelete